Tuesday, May 15, 2018

A writer's clutter...

clut·ter
ˈklədər/Submit
verb
1. crowd (something) untidily; fill with clutter.
"his apartment was cluttered with paintings and antiques"
synonyms: litter, mess up, disarrange; More
noun
1. a collection of things lying about in an untidy mass.
"the attic is full of clutter"

As I write this, I am almost fully ensconced in a cocoon of clutter.  Suffice to say that this "Fortress of Solitude" consisting of books, more books, paper, stationary supplies, computer supplies, software, pens, pencils, coffee mugs, paper plates, artwork, mail, action figures, computer wiring, networking and cable hardware, writing magazines, snacks, and for some reason a weed whacker and a tiny maraca, is where I do a lot of my writing.  Is it comfortable?  It is to me.  Is it at all disconcerting?  Only, it seems, to friends and family members that stop by to visit and can't seem to fathom why I would work under such conditions.  The truth is that I kind of like my clutter.  What may seem like absolute chaos to the outside or casual observer is actually an orderly disorder to me.  I can quickly and easily find whatever it is that I need at the moment, I pretty much know where everything is, and speaking of everything; it's all within easy reach without my having to abandon my work or latest writing frenzy.
 
"Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity. From discord find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." - Albert Einstein

Ahh, good ol' Albert Einstein... who am I to argue with his famous logic and intellect?  Most writers I know have a workspace that can only in kind terms be described as cluttered.  Yet they are happy with the condition of their workspace and guard it's condition and contents jealously.  Ask them where anything is and they can pull it out of the seeming morass of stuff with little to no effort.  This is simplicity at it's finest.  A writer that works in clutter is often also happy in his/her mess and so produces more and better work.  Nature, if viewed clinically, is chaotic, discordant, and often... "cluttered."  Yet, whom among us hasn't also found the harmony in nature as well?  The symmetry of a butterfly's wings?  The gentle, soothing sound of the surf rolling onto the shore?  From the seeming discord of a writer's clutter, they can often find the harmony needed to write... and write well.  To an outside observer, a writer's less-than-tidy workspace can seem like a difficult place to work.  Yet, it can be in this seemingly difficult place that a writer finds the opportunity to hide away and actually get some work done.  Other folks may find it daunting to enter the writer's maze-like lair in order to borrow things like pencils, staplers, paper, etc.  Thus affording the writer a space that is truly his or her getaway.  A space that gives the writer the opportunity to keep his/her stuff safely within arms reach, and available for their next work-in-progress.
  Okay, I know that there are plenty of writers out there that keep their workspaces neat, tidy, and clean... kudos to you!  I know that you produce fine work, and still manage to keep things organized and that's good... for you.  Me, I prefer a little disharmony, a little mess, and a little clutter as I tackle the various worlds that I build in my fiction.  Worlds that may be, just a little, cluttered as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment