Sunday, June 17, 2018

Happy Father's Day!

Today is June 17th, 2018 and today many of us celebrate that most noteworthy, yet also often dubious, of holidays... Father's Day.  Noteworthy because, despite what many mothers and/or wives think, being a father is a tough job.  And dubious for pretty much the same reason.

Long ago, when my son was expecting his first child, I explained to him that being a father is no easy task.  Let me explain... I told him that no matter how good a father he will think he is, his partner or even just other folks may always say that there is room for improvement.  His own kids will love him one minute and vilify him the next.  A father must always walk that thin line between sage advice and tough love... figuring that he knows best, but secretly afraid that he may make a mistake.  Often feeling like the odd man out, but always being willing and able to lend a hand physically, emotionally, spiritually, and financially.  A father must be the secret keeper, yet must sometimes violate that trust in order to safeguard his child.  A father must be the good guy, the bad guy, the strong, stoic guy, and the guy that cries when his child goes off to school or the military.  A father must be able to weather the storm of doubt or criticism that may come his way with good humor, quiet strength, a calm demeanor, and, hopefully, common sense.  He must exude confidence when his family is unsure, he must portray skill and know-how when his ability is needed.  He must be willing to graciously accept being ribbed about his attire, his singing voice, or even his hopes and dreams so that his family may benefit from the strength of his patience and love.  I told him that a father must also emanate a barely restrained ferociousness when it comes to the health, safety, and well-being of his family.  Bad guys must be able to sense that messing with his family would be a bad idea filled with dire consequences.

It's a lot to ask of someone, especially someone who is embarking on the path of fatherhood for the first time, but that's why I stated that being a father is no easy task.  And when a father makes it look like it is, that's proof that he's a great father.  I'm proud to say that my son is twice a father now, and everyone tells him (and me too sometimes) what a great father he is.  I like to think that maybe I had a little something to do with that.

And now, I'd like to mention some well-known fathers in literature that may have exhibited one or more of the traits that I mentioned above.  I know that I'll miss some, and for that I offer my humblest apologies.

 1. Mr. Bennett and Elizabeth Bennett, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
 2. Atticus Finch and Scout Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
 3. Liesel and her adopted father, Hans Hubermann,The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
 4. King Lear and Cordelia, King Lear by William Shakespeare.
 5. Jean Val Jean and Cosette, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.
 6. Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
 7. Xenophilius Lovegood and Luna Lovegood, The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.
 8. The unnamed man and his son, The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
 9. Belgarath and Polgara, The Belgariad by David Eddings.
10. Tom Harry and Rusty, The Bartender's Tale by Ivan Doig.

I had to stop  at ten or else I'd still be writing.  There are a lot of books with great Father/child relationships, I just don't have the time or space to list them all.  If you know of one, please let me know via a comment.  Anyway, 'til next time.  Happy Father's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment