Monday, February 24, 2020

Rejections

Today I received my umpteenth rejection letter.  Was I surprised? Not really. Was I hurt? Sure. But I learned a long time ago that writing is subjective, and what one agent or editor absolutely despises, another may love.  That's just the way it is.  In fact, I have a drawer at home packed with books and envelopes loaded with most of the rejections that I have received over the years.  There's also another drawer packed with publications that my accepted writing has appeared in, as well as various writing awards and letters.  So one more rejection isn't going to stop me from doing this thing I love called writing, and it shouldn't stop you either.  Rejections are part and parcel of being a writer.  If you've never received a rejection letter, email, or text ...more power to you!  However, most writers, including many of the most successful ones, have found their work rejected at one time or another.

"You have to know how to accept rejection, and reject acceptance" - Ray Bradbury.

And there you have it in a nutshell.  Although this most recent rejection stung, I learned a long time ago not to take it personally, pick myself up, dust myself off, and get back to writing.  And you have to do the same.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't feel hurt, or disappointed, or even upset or angry.  What I am saying is that you accept it for what it is, basically one person's opinion, and then get back to the business of writing.

  "I discovered that rejections are not altogether a bad thing.  They teach a writer to rely on his own judgement and to say in his heart of hearts,'The hell with you.'" - Saul Bellow.

Right on.

No comments:

Post a Comment